Thursday, November 3, 2011

Back from Disneyland

We had a GREAT time in Disneyland. Lots and lots of walking and sore feet but it was worth it! It was a great time of year to go; the weather was great and there were hardly any lineups. We also went to Mickey's Halloween Party at Disneyland on Tuesday night. That was tons of fun. We dressed up as Harry Potter characters and the kids had a blast. I posted some pictures at the bottom of the blog. Thank you to everyone at the Surrey Courthouse for the Disneyland trip!

Back to reality...
The week before Disneyland I had my second ER visit. I had bad pain in my side and was having difficulty breathing; felt like my ribs were crushing my lungs so I couldn't take a full breath. It ended up being a kidney infection - probably made worse from chemo a few days before and not drinking enough water. For some reason water is disgusting after chemo - weird. Anyway, had a REALLY good ER doctor and I was able to go back each day for IV antibiotics to make sure I would be ok for Disneyland. My breathing was still a little restricted but it was ok for most of our travelling and walking. During all this my back has been getting a little worse - feels like it's nerves around my spine. I know that I do have cancer on my spine so I figured it was that getting worse. Since going off the Iniparib (parp) combo of chemo, my skin mets have gotten WAY worse, in a different area than before, but really bad - uncomfortable, itchy and burning - horrible. So basically, I"m assuming all the cancer is getting worse and know that I really need to get back on chemo. I had chemo schedule for the Wed after DL so I wasn't too concerned. However, on Tuesday, in the middle of the day, out of nowhere, my back started REALLY hurting - felt like nerves causing the pain and nothing would make it better. I went to the ER at Lions Gate (in case I had to stay overnight - I wanted to make sure I could still get my chemo) The Dr there was really good as well. Although, one of the first things he said was - "I was looking over your files and see you had a PET scan recently but I can't seem to find the written report?" ARGGGHHH!! SO frustrated about that. I STILL don't have that report and it's been almost a month! The BCCA is so worried about who they let have the scan because of the cost and high demand and then they don't even bother to do the report - which basically makes it a complete waste of time and money - they've paid for the scan but there are NO results, so what's the point?! ANYWAY, enough about that. They gave me stronger pain meds that helped with my back and it's actually been ok since and I haven't needed to use them. They did a CT and chest xray which showed some fluid in my lungs (which I'm not really sure what that means - is it cancer? Not sure? I was too drugged at the time to ask) that is probably causing the breathing difficulties. The er dr said that it's not too bad and I can wait to see if the chemo clears it up; if not then I will need to have it drained.
Yesterday, when I went to have chemo, Dr. Smiljanic said that he will put me back on the Gemcitibine, Cisplatin and Avastin which worked so well for me back in Dec/Jan. However, he said if it doesn't start working right away we will have to change to something else - possibly Abraxane and then my hair will fall out again :(
I hate to bitch and complain about things on here so please know that for every "one" thing I complain or vent about there are AT LEAST 20 other things that I could be complaining about; things that most people would be appalled to hear about our medical system and the things you and your family have to go through. Most of the things are just common errors legitimately caused by lack of funding, under-staffing and overworked doctors which we hear about all the time on the news. But when you are in the middle of it, you realize just how bad it is. There are SO many things, I feel like if I were to complain about them, or even mention every single thing, I would sound crazy. I'm not even going to get into the ridiculous details about the PET report but just know that for me to even mention on here, it's BAD! Most of the stuff, I just feel like there's no point in getting upset about so I don't. I originally started this blog to get out information efficiently. Back in December there was so much going on and new information on a daily basis so this was the best way to get it out- even for close family and close friends. I've had many people tell me that they are still following my blog and I can see from the blog "stats" that there are people reading it all over the world?! I suppose that is friends of friends? Most of the time these days I feel like having to update my blog is kinda a pain in the ass but mostly just because I don't really feel like I have anything interesting to write. I could probably write a pretty comical book about all the crazy cluster, gong-show screw-ups I'm enduring on a regular basis but that seems a little counter-productive?! lol
Anyway, thank you to all of you who still bother to check for updates :O) xoxoxo

6 comments:

  1. Not sure if this will actually post as I tried to comment about that great article by Trevor and it wouldn't "let" me....but yes, Jackie, there are a billion things to complain about and you never do. You continue to be an inspiration. As someone who is often with you on these crazy hospital trips, I am constantly amazed that you are able to sit back and laugh at the absurd crap that happens to you and around you. I learn so much from you as you handle everything with a calm grace I can only dream of. But I am glad we laugh!!! xo Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jackie, I, like so many others, check for updates very regularly and begin reading your words with a mixture of hope and trepidation. When I worked with you as a teacher/colleague, I was always impressed with the calm patience you showed with the often wildly behaved, scarred and struggling students. Inner city schools are never peaceful!! Your sense of humour and determination steered you and the students through many storms. You gave many of them hope. May God help you in your battle.
    hugs
    MJ

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the update, darlin'. So glad you and the family made some more happy memories in DL.
    Try to get some rest while you're in the "spa" Hope 'room service' keeps you amused *I'll try to smuggle in some edible food....((HUGS)) Love ya! ~auntie B

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey Jackie, i always check your post to see how things are going and I wanted to tell you that it's great to hear your voice over your blog. don't feel like you can't complain, fuck you have every right to complain, and if it gets it out and purged then do it. I appreciate you sharing your world with us, you have a strong spirit, it's amazing. hugs, Kate

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ahh, so that is why you can deal this craziness; it's just an extension of your class.  I also agree with Kathy; it's great to see you at chemo having tons of chuckles; actally I'm laughing right now thinking of your foot getting stuck in the chair and you thinking you couldn't get out.  That was funny!! Thanks for sharing the photos; what a riot you guys all dressing up as Harry Potter characters.
    Love ya,
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks so much for sharing, I have followed your blog from the beginning and think you are such a strong, smart, beautiful woman, mother and wife. Although I have never met you I feel a connection with you as I have two little boys myself. Keep fighting there are so many people that care about you that you don't even know .... and you have every right to bitch and vent :-)!

    ReplyDelete