Wednesday, January 12, 2011

This past Monday Darren and I went down to Seattle to meet with one of the doctors at The Seattle Cancer Care Alliance. They are currently running two trials using chemotherapy along with Parp inhibitors. The doctor explained the trials - one is a Phase 1 using an oral parp drug so I would only have to travel to Seattle twice a month. The other is a Phase III and it would require me to be in Seattle on Day 1,4, 8 and 11 of the month long cycle. The Phase III trial is going well and they are just waiting for FDA approval. In the meantime, the trial has been opened up to Stage IV breast cancer patients for compassionate use. The trial would only cover the costs of some of the initial baseline tests and I would be responsible to pay for everything else. Basically, I just wanted to find out what the criteria would be to get accepted into the trial and how long they would be recruiting. The doctor explained that they would probably be accepting new patients for at least six months and I'm still waiting to hear back on an estimate of the cost.

I'm going to continue on the chemo drugs that Dr. Klimo has me on now. Apparently, these drugs will work quite well for a while and then the cancer becomes resistant to it so you need to switch to something else.

This Monday, I have an appointment with Dr. Klimo and then my third chemo session (on these new drugs). Immediately following my chemotherapy in N. Van I will go to Fort Langley to receive my first local hyperthermia treatment.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for the update Jackie! You are often in the thoughts of "old" and "new" Kinviggers. You are much loved....
    mj

    ReplyDelete