Friday, December 17, 2010

Chemo-sensitivity Results

The chemo-sensitivity results showed that of the 14 drugs we tested, only one is above 50% effective. This is not great because that one drugs happens to be one that I've already done - Docetaxel (the second set of chemo treatment that we couldn't tell if it was working).
 
On the Pachmann test, Docetaxel tested out at 75% effective - so even though it didn't seem to be reducing the size of the breast tumor it could have still been working - the Pachmann test concluded that it should "stabalize" the cancer growth. We also tested the chemo drugs that were in my first set of treatments (the ones we stopped early) and the test showed that they would have less than 10% effect  which is assumed to be "no" effect - so that test result is actually good because we felt that there was no effect at the time and that's why we stopped them early and now we know that was a good decision.
 
There were a few other drugs in the 30-40% range so they could possibly be combined with the Docetaxel for a better effect. Dr. Klimo will have to make this decision.
 
Basically, this was not the good news I was hoping for ~ a super drug that was going to 100% effective and let me get back to my perfect little life being a mom, wife and teacher!! However, it does show us which ones not to waste our time on - which actually, one of the drugs that Klimo wanted to try showed to be less that 10% so we probably won't waste our time on that one now (or any of the other typical advanced breast cancer ones that tested less than 10%).
 
Based on all of these results, Roehnisch is going to make his recommendations to Klimo and give us a written report. However, I should also add that it was very clear that Roehnisch does not have a super strong, clear opinion of what exactly would be "the" best way to proceed. When the typical treatments aren't working and the testing is showing that the cancer cells are very aggressive it is obviously difficult to attempt to advise anything with certainity, which I obviously understand.  Roehnisch also stressed the importance of trying to get into a clinical trial that is testing one of the newer drugs that is specifically targetting triple negative breast cancers. He had several suggestions so he will discuss them with Klimo and then Klimo can make the ultimate decision with how to proceed for systemic treatment.
 
In the short term, it does not change the fact that I need to have surgery and then radiation as soon after as possible. I am still waiting to hear back from Dr. Klimo so hopefully he is getting this set up to happen within the next week or two as suggested by Dr. R and the radiologist here. I am also going to look into having some kind of chemo during radiation as there are some drugs that can be combined with radiation and I'm feeling like waiting at least two months to start chemo is too long.
 
On the other hand, I did have a Zometa infusion here; it is suppose to help slow the progression of bone metastases (and even stop spreading in some cases) so that is good. It is available as a special access drug in Canada (and may be covered) so hopefully I can continue it at home; you take it once a month through IV.  It will take some time to get the "special access" granted and with Christmas and all the holidays coming up, we figured it would be good to get the first dose now as it is readily available with prescription in Germany. I read up on the clinical trials that have been done for this drug and it has been proven effective to slow down spreading and some research indicates that it may even stop spreading. I'm feeling really good about starting it so quickly because the bone metastasis is still in very early stages and I would assume that most people have much further progression by the time they start taking it.  I am also going to fill a couple prescriptions here that are for some promising naturopathic medications that are not available in Canada.
 
Diana and I are not feeling super great as we were both very hopeful that the Pachmann tests would give us a more definitive answer with what to do in the way of further systemic treatment. However, the hours of consultation that we've had with Dr. Roehnisch are invaluable, in my opinion. Not to mention the new direction of a second surgery and the urgency that has been relayed to Dr. Klimo, is definitely an important accomplishment of this trip. I should also mention, too, how incredibly grateful I am to have Diana here with me. She has kept a continuous log of everything we have discussed with the doctors here and asked all the right questions. To be honest, although Dr. Roehnisch speaks English very well, I cannot understand half the stuff he's saying due his strong accent! Diana has had little problem understanding him and her medical background has helped us enormously; even with just knowing when and what to ask for clarification. She has also kept me organized and reminded me of the many different things that I needed to be doing, people to be contacting etc. She is such a great friend and I don't in any way underestimate the hardship it has been for her to basically drop her life (including three young children) at a moments notice to come with me to Germany. Wow, I am lucky and will be forever grateful :o)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment