Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Leaving this Sunday!

Ok, for those of you who want the short story, here it is...

Diana, one of my best friends since childhood, has SO amazingly, offered to travel to Germany with me. This will allow Darren to stay at home with kids so things will be as normal as possible for them. We are leaving this Sunday at 3:45 and will return the following Sunday, Dec 19th. The plan is to have my blood tested there for circulating tumor cells (CETC testing) and chemo-sensitivity testing. I will start my first chemo treatment there along with hyperthermia and then I will come back here and continue with Dr. Klimo. I will also meet with the Naturopathic Oncologist, Dr. Drazinski and have him figure out a treatment plan to take back with me. I'm looking into coordinating my chemo with a Naturopath in Vancouver who does hyperthermia.


The Full Version of the past few days...
This past Monday I had the honour of meeting Kelly, Laura and Prof. Pachmann! It was so nice to be able to put a face to the emails; and very surreal to be sitting in a room with someone I had only read about.


Laura travelled with Kelly to Germany for her treatments and is also friends with my best friend, Diana; they are nurses at the VGH Lukeimia ward. Diana was my connection to Laura and then to Kelly.


Kelly and Laura have managed to connect Prof. Pachman with the BC Cancer Agency and they will be starting clinical trials using Prof. Pachmann's technology very soon.


Prof. Pachmann was here in Vancouver for five days this past week. Kelly had arranged a number of meetings and one was a presentation by Prof. Pachmann of her technology to a number of community oncologists from the lower mainland - Dr. Klimo was one of those doctors. Kelly had sent me this information and offered an invitation to Dr. Martin (my FVCC oncologist); she even offered Dr. Martin a personal meeting with Prof. Pachmann, if she couldn't make the meeting. As far as I know, Dr. Martin did not meet with her.   


So back to Monday...Kelly and Laura had been presenting with Prof. Pachmann during the day and offered to meet with us in the evening. Diana and I arrived at Kelly's later in the evening. Kelly explained that they had talked with Dr. Klimo about me and told him that I was going to Germany. They had also spoken with Dr. Roehnisch a little bit about my case and told him that I would coming over next week. Dr. Roehnisch wanted Diana to phone him the next morning so that he could get more information about me. Then Laura, Kelly and Prof. Pachmann explained to us a little of what we could expect over in Germany. Diana and I then left and faxed off all my medical records so that Dr. R would have have them when Diana called in the morning.


The next morning my sister and I went to see Dr. Klimo. I wanted to confirm that he supported the trip to Germany and that he would be willing to continue the treatment over here. Dr. Klimo was very pleasant and assured me that yes, he will be waiting to hear back from me and Dr. Roehnisch.


Diana spoke with Dr. R in Germany and he had received the fax and explained that after reading my PET scan results felt that starting chemo asap was very important. Diana said he was very easy to talk to, very friendly and compassionate. 


Tuesday evening I booked our flight to Munich.


Today I received another call from Dr. Leung, the radiologist, and again, I had to confirm that I was refusing radiation at this time. Again, he said that he strongly recommends it but he respects my decision. (Dr. Klimo thinks I do need it, but better to get started on chemo first)


Today I also sent Dr. Martin and her nurse coordinator, Colleen, a message to let them know of my plans and tell them that I am officially switching to Dr. Klimo for my chemotherapy treatments. It was hard and I was sad because they have been so supportive and always treated me so well.


Wow! What a crazy few days!


Tomorrow I go to the dentist ~ luckily got in last minute because I'm way overdue and you can't go during chemo. On Friday I will going to a doctor/counsellor who passionately believes I can heal MYSELF! :o)
Check out her website - Awareness Heals - Dr. Nelie Johnson.


Thank you to everyone for your positive messages and well wishes. I know that I couldn't do this without that support; thank you so much for that!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for starting this blog Jackie. I know that you will be helping so many others just by telling your story. You are in my thoughts every day...I am so amazed and happy to hear that you will be able to go to Germany and that you have found supportive physicians and nurses that are giving you options. Looking forward to more updates and sending you 'healing' vibes,
    Arlene Aspinall

    ReplyDelete